Sunday, June 19, 2011

Harmony at the Inn - The Fountain Chateau B&B and Harmony Bistro

I have known the owner of the Fountain Chateau Bed and Breakfast for many years now and I am grateful for that experience as Susanne Solvedt is one of the most hospitable, truly kind and generous people I have ever met.



My first encounter with her was when I was on assignment to do a story about another inn she owns, the Sunnyfield Farm in Camp Douglas, Wisconsin. From the moment my car pulled up into the driveway I was made to feel at home. It was then I knew Susanne was living the life she was meant for as a bed and breakfast owner.




The same sentiment was true yesterday when I visited the Fountain Chateau Bed and Breakfast in Hustler, Wisconsin  to try the offerings at the new Harmony Bistro - a cafe in the Inn which is now open Wednesday through Sunday and serving breakfast and lunch as well as a Sunday brunch.


I surprised Susanne with my visit as I told her I was there for lunch.  I explained to her I cannot write and give an opinion on the Harmony Bistro unless I saw it for myself.  I then took a seat in the comfortable dining room - a room filled with treasures from the past, and glanced over the menu - a small but very diverse menu of breakfast and lunch items.


I ordered the Wisconsin Cranberry Chicken Panini for $6.00  - a grilled chicken breast topped with cranberry chutney, bacon and provolone cheese - served  on sourdough that has been grilled to perfection.
Wisconsin Cranberry Chicken Panini 
The chef in the kitchen in was Julie, the Fountain Chateau's innkeeper.


I asked Julie if she had ever worked as a chef before, and to my surprise she told me "no" - but, then she also explained how much she has always enjoyed cooking and serving  dishes with different flavor combinations and textures.


One bite into the Wisconsin Cranberry Chicken Panini  told me that Julie had a talent in the kitchen beyond just being a good home cook. The sandwich was packed with flavor - made with local ingredients such as the cranberries and freshly picked lettuce.


Both Julie and Susanne explained that the Harmony Bistro strives to use local produce and meats. They further said that a local woman with a very large home garden provides them with much of the produce on the menu - including those tomatoes and lettuce pictured above in the actual sandwich I was served.


Being a former Chicagoan I can honestly say that the Harmony Bistro could easily compete with some of the neighborhood bistros and cafes Chicago is known for - having said that I can also tell you that the Harmony Bistro would easily beat those Chicago bistros on price and freshness. Their menu prices range from $5 to $6 for breakfast and $5 to $7 for lunch.


Soups on the menu start at just $2 for a cup, and $3 for a bowl - made from scratch is the Homemade Noodle and Chicken Chunk Soup, as well as the Cheese Potato and Ham soup and the Savory Roast Beef and Vegetable Barley soup


Salads start at $4 for a simple Caesar Salad to $6 for a Chef Salad.  Sunday Brunch is only the same once a month, as they adhere to a rotating 5 week menu for brunch offerings. 


Below is a video I put together on my visit to the Harmony Bistro at the Fountain Chateau Bed and Breakfast - they are located at 202 East Main Street in Hustler - Phone them at  (608) 427-3787 or 1 - 877- 427-3719




Now mind you when you do visit the Harmony Bistro you are in a wonderfully historic building at the Fountain Chateau Bed and Breakfast - A building that also house's JP's Simply Living Gift Shop. ...all of which will transport you to a mindset of rest and relaxation - miles away from worry - work - traffic and crowds - nestled in the rural community of Hustler, Wisconsin.




Background on the Fountain Chateau


A few years back was when Susanne  decided to take on another property within the area of the Sunnyfield Farm - an historic landmark in the village of Hustler, Wisconsin; the Fountain Mission Home. a once grand hotel back when it first opened in 1923 when it was called the Traveler's Home Hotel.  In the 1940s it was converted into the Fountain Lutheran Mission Home where it provided housing for seniors.


Juneau County - 
Near the Wisconsin Dells, but far from the traffic and crowds


travel, tourism, budget, juneau county, wisconsin, new lisbon, mauston, necedah, lyndon station, elroy, motel, hotel, lodging, camping, fishing, boating, rentals, art, culture, murals, poetry, music, authors, singers, musicians , hustler wisconsin, bed and breakfast, bistro 

No comments: